While you may have heard of hypertension or high blood pressure, suffering from low blood pressure can be as dangerous as well. An optimal blood pressure reading is less than 120mm Hg and above 80 mm Hg. The first number indicates the systolic pressure or the pressure in the arteries when the heart beats and fills with them with blood. The second number represents the diastolic pressure which is the pressure in the arteries when the heart rests between beats. Low blood pressure or hypotension may cause inadequate blood flow to the heart, brain, and other vital organs. A sudden drop in blood pressure often occurs when someone suddenly rises from a lying down or sitting position. This is called postural hypo-tension and may cause light-headedness and dizziness. There are some home remedies for low blood pressure that you can employ in order to deal with the symptoms of erratic blood pressure. But if you’ve been feeling the following symptoms for a while, consult your doctor and get your blood pressure measured –
- Clammy skin
- Loss of consciousness
- Blurry vision
Read Also : Top 10 Longest Living Animals
Once your doctor confirms that your blood pressure is low, follow his advice and take medication if required. A healthy low blood pressure diet is important for low blood pressure treatment. Along with that, here’s more homely help. Your diet plays a crucial role in maintaining your blood pressure.
Dr. Rupali Datta, Clinical Dietitian at Fortis-Escorts Hospital, suggests some home remedies for low blood pressure:
1. Eat small portions frequently: Sneak healthy snacking sessions in-between the major meals of the day to avoid long gaps. Eating small portions several times of the day helps in preventing the sudden drop in blood pressure that one may experience after meals. So, if you are eating three full meals a day, it would be better to rather have them distributed in to five small meals a day. This one’s a great home remedy for also people who have diabetes.
Home remedies for low blood pressure: eat small portions frequently
2. Have adequate salt: Excess salt is bad, but on the other hand it is required by your body in moderate quantities. According to the World Health Organisation, your daily diet must contain at one teaspoon of added salt besides what you derive from natural from fruits and vegetables. In summers or if you exercise daily, keep some lime water with a pinch of salt handy. Salt works like an instant pick-me-up. Make sure you do not have too much salt too that may lead to problems like water retention along with high blood pressure.
Read Also :10 Wild Animals and Amazing Fauna of Europe
Home remedies for low blood pressure: Excess salt is bad, but it is required by your body in moderate quantities
3. Drink more fluids: Drink at least 2 to 3 litres of water every day. Besides this, include drinks like coconut water, bael ka sharbat and aam panna in your low blood pressure diet. These will give you the necessary electrolytes required to maintain the fluids in your body. Dehydration is a common cause of low blood pressure. Pomegranate juice is rich in antioxidants called polyphenols and may help you lower your blood pressure. One of the best ways to fight dehydration is water; so, do not forget to load up on enough water for the day.
Home remedies for low blood pressure: Drink at least 2 to 3 litres of water every day
4. Caffeine helps: Caffeinated beverages like tea or coffee may help boost your blood pressure temporarily. When your blood pressure dips suddenly, a cup of coffee or tea can get your circulation going. It causes short, but dramatic increase in your blood pressure. Although nobody knows why this happens, but it is believed to help your improve your blood pressure.
Home remedies for low blood pressure: Caffeinated beverages like tea or coffee may help boost your blood pressure
5. Tulsi Leaves: “A home remedy from our granny’s treasure trove. Chew five to six tulsi leaves every morning,” suggests Dr. Rupali. Tulsi leaves have high levels of potassium, magnesium and vitamin c which can help in regulating your blood pressure. It is also loaded with an antioxidant called Eugenol which keeps the blood pressure under control and lowers cholesterol levels.
Home remedies for low blood pressure: Chew five to six tulsi leaves every morning
Read Also : List Of 50 Extinct Animals On Planet Earth
6. Almond Milk: Soak 5 to 6 almonds overnight, peel them in the morning, make a paste and boil them into a drink. Drink this every day to prevent your blood pressure from falling. There is no cholesterol or saturated fat in almond milk. In fact, it is rich in healthy fats like Omega-3 fatty acids. Include this milk in your low blood pressure diet; basically, you can add it to your cereals, smoothies, et al and enjoy the goodness of the almond milk.
Home remedies for low blood pressure: Soak 5 to 6 almonds overnight, peel them in the morning
7. Munakka: Another remedy from granny’s kitchen. You can soak some munakka overnight and then boil it with milk and have it in the morning. Or you can just add a fistful of soaked munakkas in your breakfast regimen. It increases vitality and blood and helps in better circulation, which further helps you lower blood pressure. This Indian raisin is exactly what you need to ensure a healthy blood pressure. Bring these home remedies for low blood pressure to your rescue.
NOTE – This article was originally published in food.ndtv and can be viewed here
Tags: #bloodpressure, #Blurryvision, #Clammyskin, #dizziness, #Fatigue, #fitness, #fluids, #getgreengetgrowing, #gngagritech, #greenstories, #headedness, #health, #Nausea, #portions, #pressure, #Salt